Jesus never instructs us to study and focus on religions other than Christianity . However we are charged with sharing the gospel throughout the world and it can be helpful to have some background on what other faiths believe and where they break down. Some knowledge in this area is helpful to effectively sharing the gospel.
For those who have not studied and developed a solid foundation in Christianity, it is best to focus on that first. If you are not mature, confident, and learned in Christianity and you study other religions and engage passionate practitioners of those religions to bring them to Christianity you may well fall prey to deception and seed doubts as to your faith. Focus first on learning Christianity.
- Josh McDowell MinistriesAs a young man, Josh McDowell considered himself an agnostic. He truly believed that Christianity was worthless. However, when challenged to intellectually examine the claims of Christianity, Josh discovered compelling, overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Christian faith. Associated website at Josh.org.
- Stealing From God: Why Atheists Need God To Make Their Case by Frank Turek shows how many atheistic arguments, instead of disproving God, reveal that He actually exists. Associated website at CrossExamined.org.
Answering World Religions
- The Facts on World Religions (Facts On Series) by John Ankerberg, John Weldon, & Dillon Burroughs) delivers informed viewpoints, insightful arguments, and a scripture-based Christian perspective on issues that impact our world. The series also includes other books like The Facts on Islam, The Facts on the Mormon Church, and The Facts on Jehovah’s Witnesses.
- Answering-Islam.org provides a Christian Muslim dialog
- Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus, by Nabeel Qureshi, describes a dramatic journey from Islam to Christianity including the friendships, experiences and investigation that led to conversion. Associated website at NabeelQureshi.com.